Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Wedding Night

I have started noticing an interesting trend lately. The wedding night seemingly no longer holds the sacred status, I imagine, it once did. Many couples are more interested in drinking or hanging out with friends than getting down to business. I refer not to hanging out 1 a.m. but to 4 or 5 a.m. What is the reason for this shift? Does it relate to the fact that sex before marriage and living together is much more commonly accepted than decades ago? My gut tells me this is a large part of the reason. Does it have something to do with the changing image of marriage? Again, my instinct is also ringing some bells on this one as well. Still, I think personally it wouldn’t matter to me. The wedding day is a major milestone in your life. For women, we can gain a new name. Legally, we have tied our name to another person’s name (and credit). This is a day that for many people has been worked and looked forwards too for a long period of time. For good or bad, your husband/wife just made a big commitment to you. (Hopefully, they intend to keep it.) I am somewhat traditional. The wedding night always seemed like a two person event, not a big party, at least not after 1or 2 a.m. I don’t have all the answers. It just seems to be a marked change in societal behavior that should be noted.

No comments:

Post a Comment